Honest Jon's to Release South African Dance Music Compilation
- Words: Patric Fallon
Eclectic UK global-beat/electronic label Honest Jon's has culled some of its favorite tunes from esoteric South African producers for a forthcoming compilation highlighting the region's vibrant dance music scene. Entitled Shangaan Electro, the 12-track release focuses on a style called shangaan, which is a super-fast (around 180 BPM) sound that utilizes plenty of marimba, organ, and vocal sampling. Among the artists involved are Tshetsha Boys, Zinja Hlungwani, Nkata Mawewe, and BBC, each of whom have at least two songs on the compilation. You can check out more info on the release—including video and MP3 samples of the music—here before Shangaan Electro is released July 6.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player