Watch the Video for Brand-New Chromeo Tune "Don't Turn the Lights On"
- Words: Patric Fallon
When describing the '80s-obsessed, electro-funk of NY duo Chromeo, rarely—if ever—does the word "creepy" come to mind, but that's exactly what the video for the outfit's new song is. "Don't Turn the Lights On" is on the soft-spoken side of Dave1's and P-Thugg's retro-futuristic R&B sound, and is lifted of their forthcoming third album, Business Casual. While the bespectacled frontman politely croons the song's chorus and his bearded cohort quietly jams out on some keys, the lights flick from on to off, leaving the band's glowing eyes and vibrant grins floating in air. The disembodying effect is applied to a wide cast of characters who each get a chance to do some weird shit with their illuminated organs, like so many Cheshire Cats. As "Lights" progresses, things continue to grow stranger and more funny within the video. We always knew Chromeo had a sense of humor, but some of this stuff is totally absurd, which is great.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player