Barbès Preps The Roots of Chicha 2; Stream Several Tracks from the Album
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Back in 2007, Brooklyn label Barbès Records released The Roots of Chicha, a collection of psychedelic, surf-influenced electric cumbias from '60s and '70s Peru. The compilation was a surprise success, so much so that, on October 12, Barbès will be releasing a second volume. The Roots of Chicha 2 will feature 16 more selections from the genre, which was largely unknown outside of Peru until the past few years. Although chicha borrowed heavily from traditional Andean musics, the second installment of the compilation focuses more on the urban scene—namely what was happening in the slums of Lima and other migrant-filled cities where the music took root. You can preorder the album here, and seven selections from the compilation are streaming below.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player