Panasonic Confirms the End of Technics Turntables
- Words: Glenn Jackson
DJs the world over will be mourning the news that Panasonic has officially announced that production of Technics turntables ended this fall. Last month we posted that Panasonic had planned to discontinue the Technics SL-1200MK6 analog turntable, the SH-EX1200 analog audio mixer, the RP-DH1200, and RP-DJ1200 stereo headphones, and now comes the news that the entire line of Technics turntables has been shut down. The surge of digital DJ equipment is seen as the culprit by Panasonic, whose PR people said in a statement, "...the number of component suppliers serving the analogue market has dwindled in recent years and we brought forward the decision to leave the market rather than risk being unable to fulfill future orders because of a lack of parts." Ouch. We'll let you know of any candlelight vigils or processions in honor of the turntables that have faithfully served analog DJs for as long as we can remember. For the full press release and details check the Resident Advisor article.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player