Panasonic Confirms the End of Technics Turntables
- Words: Glenn Jackson
DJs the world over will be mourning the news that Panasonic has officially announced that production of Technics turntables ended this fall. Last month we posted that Panasonic had planned to discontinue the Technics SL-1200MK6 analog turntable, the SH-EX1200 analog audio mixer, the RP-DH1200, and RP-DJ1200 stereo headphones, and now comes the news that the entire line of Technics turntables has been shut down. The surge of digital DJ equipment is seen as the culprit by Panasonic, whose PR people said in a statement, "...the number of component suppliers serving the analogue market has dwindled in recent years and we brought forward the decision to leave the market rather than risk being unable to fulfill future orders because of a lack of parts." Ouch. We'll let you know of any candlelight vigils or processions in honor of the turntables that have faithfully served analog DJs for as long as we can remember. For the full press release and details check the Resident Advisor article.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player