Rainbow Arabia Signs to Kompakt, Preps LP for March
- Words: Stefan Nickum
Twenty-first-century world music—that is, music that looks to, borrows from, and name-drops artists and genres from different parts of the globe—has frequently been met with discomfort and thorny arguments about appropriation and authenticity, although few have been sophisticated or productive. Recent targets include: Vampire Weekend, Gang Gang Dance, Fool's Gold, or Brooklyn duo Tanlines. Well, now you can add Los Angeles duo Rainbow Arabia to the list of increasingly high-profile artists navigating a pastiche of global sounds and genres, as they have just signed to Kompakt and will debut their first full-length, titled Boys And Diamonds, on March 1 in the US and February 28 in Europe. Members Danny and Tiffany Preston, both provide production skills to their globetrotting beats while Tiffany does the bulk of the singing. Tiffany is a clear disciple of The Knife vocalist Karin Dreijer Andersson's harrowing aesthetic—equal parts icy and epic. But Middle Eastern influences, early dancehall, acid house, and Madonna are also immediate touchstones within Rainbow Arabia's musical palette. Needless to say, we're looking forward to the record. Check the tracklist below.
01. Boys and Diamonds
02. Without You
03. Nothin gonna be undone
06. Jungle Bear
09. This Life is Practice
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player