RIP Federico Rodríguez of ZZK group Fauna
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
XLR8R is sad to report that Federico Rodríguez (a.k.a. Catar_sys) of Argentinian group Fauna has died. The 28-year-old artist was on tour in Belo Horizante, Brazil, where Fauna was set to perform Saturday night as part of the city's Eletronika festival with fellow ZZK crew member Villa Diamante. The festival was actually the final date of a lengthy South American tour that Rodríguez and Villa Diamante had undertaken.
According to Argentinian website MDZ (based in Rodríguez's hometown of Mendoza), itself repeating information from Brazilian paper O Tempo, the artist fell from the 14th story room of Belo Horizante's Hotel Quality, where he was staying prior to performing. He died immediately, and the case is being treated as a suicide.
As news of Rodríguez's death spread via social networking sites and blogs over the course of the weekend, friends and fans quickly began posting their thoughts and remembrances online. ZZK posted the following statement on its Facebook page: "RIP Federico Rodriguez aka Catar_sys from the ZZK duo Fauna. Our deepest condolences to your family. May your light shine on forever." Villa Diamante posted the following (translated from Spanish): "Thanks to everyone for the support, Federico Rodríguez was a being of light, everyone that knew him on a stage, in conversation, or by listening to Fauna know what I'm talking about. Fede left us an expansive legacy, it's up to us to know how to apply it."
Fauna was often cited as one of the first Argentinian groups to combine cumbia rhythms with more modern electronic and hip-hop sounds. The group's existence pre-dates that of ZZK itself, and considering the international growth of cumbia in recent years, Rodríguez's death marks the loss of a truly influential artist. The following video was recorded just prior to the start of Rodríguez's South American tour with Villa Diamante. Our thoughts are with him, his family, and the entire ZZK crew.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player