Video: Braiden "The Alps"
- Words: Patric Fallon
It's one of Mary Anne Hobbs' favorite tunes of the year. It's the next record dropping on Joy Orbison's Doldrums label. It's the first single to come from photographer-cum-producer Steve Braiden. It's called "The Alps," and before it's even released, it seems to have become as massive as the mountain range that provides its name. Here, the bounding, icy tune is given a dark video of vintage, black-and-white footage from some nuclear power plant of sorts. We're not sure how the imagery correlates with the music (Maybe the intent is to somehow convey the bottled energy that throbs within Braiden's track?), but regardless, only about half of the production makes the cut before everything fades out. We'll be sure to catch the remaining four minutes when "The Alps" 12" drops on November 22.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player