Thomas Fehlmann to Release New Single on Kompakt
Techno legend and half of the esteemed group The Orb, Thomas Fehlmann, has a new single to be released on Kompakt featuring himself along with live strings and percussion. The idea for the single was inspired by Fehlmann's recent performance in collaboration with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra and Berlin-based musician Benjamin Meyers in which they set out to reinterpret Mahler's classic "Symphony No. 1 (Titan)." The first track on the single, "Titan One," is a new interpretation of said Mahler piece, which, according to the label, "flows with a beauty and edacity that is rarely heard in both classical and electronic music form." Those may seem like bold words for a 12" single but if anyone is capable of finding new and interesting territory between the classical and electronic worlds, Fehlmann is definitely the right man for the job. The second side of the single features a new interpretation of Fehlmann's own track from his 2002 Kompakt release, Visions of Blah. "DFM" (short for the original track title "Du Fehlst Mir") is more of an upbeat affair but still is said to exist within "the different musical worlds in a way we have never heard to such a high standard." We'll have to wait and hear if "Titan One" b/w "DFM" truly lives up to its description when its released as a limited-edition (600 copies) 12" along with a digital version on January 31. Check the album artwork and stream the original "Du Fehlst Mir" below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player