Watch James Blake Perform "The Wilhelm Scream" Live
- Words: Patric Fallon
As one of the top-rated comments on this video of James Blake performing a cut from his forthcoming, self-titled album says, "Funny finally seeing him sing this... Weird." We couldn't agree more. But Blake's live performance isn't "weird" to us in any sort of unusual way; it's more "weird" in the sense that the producer/musician/singer/artist has long talked about putting together a proper live show, so actually seeing that for the first time—even if it is just in a video—is sort of like discovering your nerdy friend with Coke-bottle glasses wasn't joking when he said he could breakdance like a pro. Blake and two bandmates perform "The Wilhelm Scream" live in the BBC Radio 1 studios with the ease and confidence of seasoned performers, and completely knock the soulful and cathartic number out of the park. If nothing else, this clip excites us even further for whatever forthcoming live dates of Blake's we'll be lucky enough to catch, not to mention his debut LP, James Blake, which will drop on February 7 via ATLAS/A&M.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player