Stones Throw Celebrates Its 15th Anniversary with Free Shows Recorded Directly to Vinyl
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
The venerable Stones Throw imprint is in the midst of its 15-year anniversary, and the always-creative LA label has cooked up a rather unique way to celebrate. Beginning next Thursday, April 14, Stones Throw will be hosting a series of free, invite-only live shows where artists will be recording directly to vinyl. That's not a misprint. These performances aren't going to be recorded digitally or onto tape and then pressed up on vinyl later. The recordings are going straight to wax, in real time, at the Capsule Labs studio and pressing plant in Los Angeles.
The first show, dubbed Stones Throw Direct-to-Disc #1, is happening on Thursday, April 14 and will feature Mayer Hawthorne & The County, jazz band Rick, and DJ sets from Peanut Butter Wolf. Tickets will not be sold to this invite-only event, but will be given away this month via the label's Twitter and Facebook. That means all the Stones Throw diehards out there had better come correct with their social networking game.
Look for more shows to be announced in the future, but in the meantime check the flyer for Stones Throw Direct-to-Disc #1 below.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player