XLR8R Photographer Josh McNey Unveils 'Protect From Light'
- Words: Ken Taylor
- Photo: Josh McNey
NYC-based photographer Josh McNey, who has shot countless photos for XLR8R, including last year's Night Slugs feature, and this issue's piece on ballroom house, will unveil his latest show, Protect From Light, at Casa de Costa, a new studio/arts salon in New York, on April 29. McNey's non-musical work examines a number of facets of the American landscape, its people, and its quieter moments in between. Still-lifes, documents of college wrestling matches, and portraits of rodeo cowboys all make appearances in McNey's greater explorations of nature and masculinity.
Of his solo show, McNey says, "Being afraid of my sexuality made me afraid to stare. I didn’t want to be ‘caught’ looking at guys. I think this teenage strategy of visual chastity made it all the more urgent that I find a way to legitimize staring. Photography became for me both an apparatus and a metaphor for coming out as a gay man. Showing the work is one more step in that direction."
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3Physical Therapy "Whitelabel (Nautiluss Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player