Seattle's Substrata Festival to Launch This July With Biosphere, Benoît Pioulard, and More
- Words: Patric Fallon
Pacific Northwestern ambient artist Rafael Anton Irisarri is a busy man. In addition to his excellent work as The Sight Below, his other eponymous solo project, and his collaborative work with an array of like-minded composers and musicians, Irisarri has also curated his own music festival. The first annual Substrata Festival takes place between July 15 and July 17, and will feature audio/visual performances from artists such as Benoît Pioulard, Eluvium, Biosphere, Marcus Fischer, and Irisarri's latest musical project, a trio called I30. Substrata is said to "explore varying perspectives of scale though the use of sound, composition, and visuals," and will "create an immersive weekend experience that engages the audience in a dialog with the artists that goes beyond the constraints of traditional performer/listener interactions." Apparently, that "immersive" experience includes a special workshop with Geir Jenssen (a.k.a. Biosphere) that will take 15 festival goers to the Cascade mountains to capture environmental recordings. You can check out the full list of performers to appear at Substrata here, and score tickets for the three-day event here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player