Zed Bias and Steve Gurley Ready Collaborative 12"
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Prolific multi-pseudonymed UK producer Dave Jones (a.k.a Zed Bias a.k.a. Maddslinky, pictured above) has teamed up with respected UK bass figure Steve Gurley for a collaborative 12" for the Keysound imprint, entitled "Roll." The two have apparently been trading musical ideas since they met back in the mid-'90s, while Gurley was making the transition from his earlier work in the jungle outfit Foul Play to the garage-style sounds he is better known for and while Jones was just beginning his path as an up-and-coming producer. Apparently, those beats and breaks the two were trading on floppy discs over a decade ago have served as the inspiration for this latest collaboration, which is said to still be very much a current slice of UK bass music, complete with "garage swing, vocoder funk, jungle rudeness, and an edginess straight out of the 'roots of' era dubstep." The "Roll" 12", whose b-side features a remix from Keysound label head Blackdown, has no specific release date set yet, but can be expected some time in late May or early June.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player