Help Contribute to a Documentary on the '90s SF Rave Scene
- Words: Derek Opperman
Not lucky enough to be hanging around San Francisco in the ravey glory days of the early '90s? If not, don't worry: The Gathering's Martin O'Brien and Wicked Soundsystem's DJ Jenö have got you covered with a brand new, as-yet-unnamed documentary exploring the rave culture San Francisco once played host to. Featuring everyone from the promoters on down to the ravers themselves, the documentary promises to establish San Francisco as the epicenter of American rave culture in the pantheon of cultural history. The film is currently in post-production, but the producers are still on the lookout for material. If you or anyone you know has old photos, negatives, video tapes, or anything else from the period of 1989-1994, contact producer Mike Koeppel. Those interested in the project's progress can follow the film's development on its rather active Facebook page, but for now, check out the clip above, which features the likes of DJ Harvey, Thomas Bullock, Jenö, Garth, Markie Mark, and many others.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player