Over blissful, Bladerunner-style chimes, UFO!’s video for the track “Forbidden Love” zooms in on a futuristic, industrialized San Francisco. The footage is like an old flickering black and white movie cut up with subtle animation and illuminated as though viewed through those glasses that throw rainbows everywhere. In time to a pulsing heartbeat rhythm, joyless humans march in lines and complete menial tasks with their computer co-workers. Read more »
“Game Over” is a real day in the life of a rapper, Doomtree-style. The video begins with a busy convenience store employee, Doomtree MC Mictlan, laying it all out while he goes about ringing up purchases, chilling with Vitamin Water in the cooler, stocking inventory, taking out the trash, and connecting with sympathizers around the store. “Welcome to the future! Read more »
Oakland, CA-based digital label Deepblak Recordings has a busy fall planned, with new EPs and albums by its growing roster. Since 2001, Deepblak has established itself as a home for broken-beat, future-techno, leftfield hip-hop, house, and other electronic genres by artists like L.A.’s Eric Rico, New York’s Black Jazz Consortium, and Oakland’s own Blaktroniks.
Read more »
Yelle most definitely loves her costumes. We've seen the French chanteuse decked out in everything from Technicolor aerobics clothes to one of those happy face dresses in her last visual endeavor, and last week she sent out an announcement stating that those attending one of her U.S.tour dates should don homemade masks for the occasion. Read more »
“All the Shallow Deep” is a psychedelically lush chapter of Blank Blue’s bizarre tale, which is set sometime in the future of an earthquake-caused Armageddon that prompts the West Coast to separate from the rest of the United States. For the video to this track, Elvin Estela, a.k.a. Read more »
Spanish imprint Vampi Soul has reissued three new Afrobeat and Highlife music collections, available in the U.S. through Light in the Attic distribution. These three releases add to the label’s growing catalog of Latin, African, and South American classic soul, rock, and psychedelic pop titles.
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player