U.S.-based reggae labels are once again heating up. In the 1980s, labels like Nighthawk–home to The Itals, The Gladiators, etc.–and Shanachie–with artists like Augustus Pablo and Culture–were among a healthy crop of American imprints offering consistently excellent releases by Jamaica’s best.Read more »
Since the boom of philosophic, politically conscious rap in the late ‘90s, many members of the hip-hop intelligetsia have gone in different directions. With Anticon. MC Sole moving on to production under the Mansbestfriend moniker, Atmosphere’s Slug pushing a more cynical approach to his relationship neuroses, and Mos Def acting alongside Bruce Willis, it seems as though the wave of intimate-rap has taken a new course–or lack thereof.
Read more »
German producer Stephan Bodzin is ready to destroy every single club in the world with his first full-length Liebe Ist, out this spring on his own Herzblut label. Bodzin spent years composing pieces for several respected European theaters, but now he generally spends time crushing techno-dork skulls with sludgy bass, Moog textures, and ear-piercing melodies. His tracks have been released on labels such as Get Physical, and he regularly collaborates as part of Elektrochemie with Oliver Huntemann.
For more than seven years, the couple Nicola Kuperus and Adam Lee Miller has created electro-punk that’s fueled a generation of disorderly clubgoers from coast to coast. On it’s fourth full-length, Adult. pushes its agro-anxious sound to groundbreaking levels with the thought provoking, paradoxical Why Bother?. Directed by and starring Adult., “I Feel Worse When I’m With You,” speaks volumes for the neuro-demons in us all.Read more »
When it comes to the concept of unifying hip-hop diehards, one need not look further than the Rock the Bells Festival. Set to hit cities coast-to-coast on July 28, this mammoth tour is designed to “Represent, respect, and recognize” hip-hop on a world-class platform.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player