Video: High Places "Sonora"
- Words: Nathan Fink
Rob Barber and Mary Pearson have been making forward-thinking pop music as High Places for a little over five years, with the band's most recent output seeing the light of day last month when Thrill Jockey released Original Colors. Above, you can watch a new video for album cut "Sonora", directed by Keith Musil. Musil sets the creeping funk of "Sonora" to a backdrop of unsettling images of a blood-stained young woman rescuing her lover from danger, a plot the director describes as "loosely based on the original Popeye cartoons." Complete with a bulging forearm, the video's heroine (played by High Places' own Pearson) makes short work of her Bluto, a "comical criminal who is in some way involved in the golf industry." Lighthearted though it may sound, the video is anything but—choosing instead to paint a picture of Popeye soaked in blood, fighting for the life of a loved one. You can catch High Places on tour in North America, South America, and Europe in the coming weeks.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player