As Australia’s pop forces make their way to the forefront of the once French-dominated electro-house scene, the power has made a continental shift. Modular Records, home to Cut Copy and Van She, has already worked hard to solidify its position. Now, newcomers like Cutters Records (Cut Copy’s imprint), Midnight Juggernauts, and Miami Horror have joined in the struggle.Read more »
Unusual Animals is Asthmatic Kitty's new imprint for conceptual, electronic projects, and on the forthcoming Land of a Thousand Rappers: Vol 1, The Fall of the Pillers, Asthmatic Kitty employee Michahel Kaufman (a.k.a. Future Rapper) collaborates with the likes of The Holy Fool, the Queen of Soft, and Papa Alabaster for an avant hip-hop album that emulates the label's musical values.Read more »
Definitive Jux’s prolific superhero Aesop Rock is poised for a massive, two-month North American tour with Rob Sonic and DJ Big Wiz. Cage, Blockhead, Black Moth Super Rainbow, and The Octopus Project will also also be present for some dates.
For the latest installment of Monty “ML Tronik” Luke’s “Bubble Metropolis” podcast series, XLR8R’s resident techno columnist has compiled the hits that have no trouble getting the kids on their feet. Taken directly from his magazine column, with a few exclusive bonus cuts thrown in, this mix is what future crate-digging is made of. Our man incorporates tracks from Stephen Bodzin, Carl Craig, DJ Bone, and others, revealing the key to one very late night.Read more »
XLR8R TV's Andrew Smith heads deep into the psychedelic world of S.F.-based visual artist Mario Martinez, a.k.a. MARS-1. Taking cues from music, graffiti, and Heinlein-era science fiction, Martinez makes paintings and toys for psychonauts. Join Andrew as he explores the studio, CD collection, and inner mind of MARS-1.
Watch This Episode
Episode 14: Black Milk
Episode 15: Crafting with Adult.
Read more »
XLR8R takes a look at the labels changing the face of independent music. In addition to our Top 25 Labels We Love feature, XLR8R ventures into the world of MP3 labels, oddball dance imprints, the visual artists behind France’s Kitsuné, and 10 young labels to watch in the coming year.Read more »
- Feature20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- NewsCheck Out Voices from the Lake's Ambient Mix for Beats in Space
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- 20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- Hi-Five - P. Morris Revisits His Roots and Lists His Five Favorite Go-Go Tracks
- A Generous Environment: Thoughts, Ideas, and Questions from patten
- Hi-Five - Kerri Chandler Lists the Five Tracks That Influenced Him the Most
XLR8R Downloads Player