Brazilian journalist, DJ, and XLR8R contributor Bruno Natal has conceived and will soon release a startling new reggae documentary, Dub Echoes. The film explains the structure of the genre's sound, and features discussions and music clips from some of its chief architects, both current and past.Read more »
Industrial sludge masters Skinny Puppy will tour North America for the first time in three years, beginning May 25. The group–originally from Vancouver but now based in L.A.–has an output that spans two decades, 12 albums, and yet another album on the way. The live show will no doubt feature Puppy staples like Budd Dwyer’s suicide video, mock vivisection, and mutants on stilts.Read more »
Various The Unexpektheadz Chapter 2: A Space Conquest Soundtrack Ekleroshock
Ekleroshock's The Unexpektheadz Chapter 2: A Space Conquest Soundtrack features cosmic electro tracks from Crunc Tesla, LOD, Data, and Terry Poison. Between the thick and rugged synth lines and deep kicks, your danceparty may soon become an intergalactic battlefield.
Read more »
Thus far, 2007 has been a good year for Chicago-based label Thrill Jockey, who has had standout releases from Adult., Trans AM, The Sea and Cake, OOIOO, and now, Pit er Pat. The latter has long spearheaded the artful post-rock movement, with a formula that revolves around hazy guitars and lots of clanking, lo-fi percussion. Following 2005’s Shakey, Pyramids, the trio's latest full-length offering, finds the band at its most ethereal and transcendently ambitious (even more spacious, effect-heavy rhythms).Read more »
Somewhere in between the darker side of late '90s indie rock and dissonant shoegaze sits the San Francisco duo ellul. The band's self-titled debut was recorded along the California coast in places as diverse as churches, industrial warehouses, and living rooms–which isn't too surprising, given the the guys' lust for indie guitarscapes.. Anyone old enough to remember Caulfield Recordings will have their second coming.Read more »
IAMISEE (a.k.a Invisible Man) opened the week with some dark boom-bap rhythms, while Phat Kat kept us in the hip-hop loop with gritty beats straight from the Detroit underground. Strategy mellowed us out with a post-ambient composition, Someone Else had us pulling out the old Pokerflat releases, and the UK's Maximo Park finished the week off with a guitar-driven track off their latest full-length.Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player