Distal Preps Two Collaborative Releases
- Words: Taylor Fife
Our most recent contributor to the XLR8R podcast series, Atlanta's Distal (a.k.a. Michael Rathbun), has announced two different collaborative efforts that will be ready for release next month. First up is "Booyant" b/w "Amphibian," set for a March 5 release via Bristol imprint Tectonic. "Booyant" finds Distal teaming up with Vancouver's HxdB for a bass-heavy dancefloor bubbler, while the flip side's "Amphibian" is a quirky 140 bpm solo effort. For those purchasing in digital format, Brooklyn outfit Archie Pelago will also be adding some fun to the release with a swinging, percussive remix of "Booyant."
Later in March, Rathbun will be releasing a three-song EP of raving juke tunes, Stuck Up Money, featuring Chicago's DJ Rashad. The record will be dropping via Well Rounded's relatively new side label, Individuals. The 12" is set for a vinyl release on March 20, with a digital release to follow on March 26, but for now, check out the artwork and tracklist, which can be found below.
In addition to these two forthcoming releases, keep an eye out for Distal's debut full-length album, Civilization, due out on Tectonic sometime in Spring 2012.
1. Stuck Up Money
2. Behold the Jungle
3. Short & Sweet
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player