Venetian Snares Preps Bedtime Album as Last Step
- Words: Taylor Fife
Canadian producer Aaron Funk is most widely known for the abrasive experimentalism he produces under the moniker Venetian Snares, but next month, he'll release a much mellower album, called Sleep, under the name Last Step. While the recordings themselves might be more palatable for many, Funk's approach to producing his new pieces was as idiosyncratic as ever. In his words: "Sleep [is made of] tunes I recorded while falling asleep. For a while, when I was really tired and ready to go to bed, instead of going to sleep I would make a tune. [I'd] get some stuff going on my sequencers, drum machines, patch up my modular, and just jam it. [I] would fall asleep a lot listening to the sequences... This is what I sound like in my sleep." Last Step's Sleep LP will be released via Planet Mu on May 7, but for now, you can check out the artwork and tracklist, below.
04. My Off Days
06. Lazy Acid 3
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player