Pursuit Grooves to Release Album as 91 Fellows
- Words: Christian Santana
Last time we'd heard from Pursuit Grooves (a.k.a. Vanese Smith), she'd just released her Frantically Hopeful LP, and tossed us two free tracks. Now, we've discovered that the genre-defying producer and MC is branching out into new musical ground with a new alias, 91 Fellows. The new project, which came about as a tribute to her grandfather who passed away last year, is geared toward an atmospheric and experimental trajectory (a sound Smith refers to as "cinematic dub") far different from the Brooklyn resident's usual output, as is demonstrated by a 30-minute mix—conceived as a score for fictitious film Terrapin Skydome—that she put together for the Australian website A Colorful Storm. And she's not stopping there; Smith is also putting out a self-titled, eight-track record as 91 Fellows, which will be available in late July via Oakland-based label Deepblak. You can check out the cover art and tracklist for that LP, along with the aforementioned mix, below.
A1 Wood Canes
A3 The Atlantic
A4 Lions Lawn
B1 Noon Sleeps
B3 Noon Sleeps (Afrikan Sciences Remix)
B4 Carolina (AYBEE Remix)
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player