Video Premiere: Bass Clef "Ghosts Kicks in the Spiral"
- Words: Christian Santana
Back in April, London beatsmith Bass Clef (a.k.a. Ralph Cumbers) put out Reeling Skullways (check out our review here), a solid record featuring productions that melded a multitude of influences and genres, such as Chicago house and Detroit techno, among other things. Now, he's premiering a new video for one of the more enigmatic tracks on the album, the experimental and percussionless "Ghost Kicks in the Spiral." The video, which was directed by BAFTA award winner Esther May Campbell (of both Skins and Wallander fame), renders the adventures of two young girls on the English countryside and suburbs in slow motion, and is shot in such a grainy, retro style that it almost looks like found footage. Intermittent veils of static interference sometimes appear, too, making for an atmosphere that works well with the track's omnipresent haze of synths.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player