Video Premiere: Jimmy Edgar "Let Yrself Be"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
We already pointed out in our recent High Five feature that flamboyance is a hallmark of Jimmy Edgar's work, so it would be kind of redundant to describe the Berlin resident's video for Majenta cut "Let Yrself Be" as "flashy." But from the opening credits until the clip fades to black, the Hotflush artist's latest audio-visual composition bursts, flickers, and blazes with neon sensory overload, as if to mirror the beat's persistent kicks. "Let Yrself Be" deals in mind-blowing rave energy, unnerving psychedelia, and garishness: The bedazzling, boldfaced credits and Japanese characters nod to Gaspar Noé's opening sequence in Enter the Void with as much enthusiasm as Kanye West's video for "All of the Lights."
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player