Bloc Weekend Goes Bankrupt
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Admittedly, XLR8R is arriving late to this story, but last weekend's Bloc Festival in London went seriously awry, as the event was halted in the middle of the proceedings on Friday, while the festival's Saturday lineup was scrapped entirely. Seeing as how we weren't actually at the festival, we've left the reporting until now to the folks at FACT, The Quietus, and other UK press outlets. However, today's announcement that the festival has gone into administration (the British equivalent of bankruptcy) was simply too big for us to ignore.
For those who haven't been paying attention, the festival was cancelled halfway through the first night in the face of serious safety concerns, as massive lines and various logistical problems apparently plagued the event. Speculation has been rampant about what would happen in the wake of this cancellation, but apparently the losses incurred are simply too great for the festival organizers to bear, as a statement appeared on the festival website earlier today that read as follows:
It is with great sadness that we announce Baselogic Productions (who you all know as Bloc) has been placed into administration following the events of Friday evening. The team are working hard with the administrators to investigate the issues that led to the closure of the event and people will be updated as and when we have new information. We ask that you allow the administrators time to conduct a thorough investigation so we can establish the facts.
Once again we would like to apologise for all of the frustration and disappointment this situation has caused and thank everyone who has supported the team over the years, your continued support means so much to us.
Head over to FACT for a more in-depth analysis of the situation. Information about potential refunds is still unavailable, and for now, the future of Bloc appears to be in serious jeopardy.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player