A quick update following the passing of Dash Snow, the Manhattan-based artist who died last week at the age of 27: NYC's Deitch Projects Gallery has kicked off a memorial retrospective of Snow's works, which will also feature yet-to-be-seen photos and video of the young artist. The gallery's facade has been painted over with fire-extinguisher foam bearing Snow's graf tag, SACER, and the tribute runs until August 15. Read more »
Remember when we checked in with Portland musician/wine deliverer/man-about-town White Rainbow last year? Well, the artist known as Adam Forkner (he's also an occasional member of Valet and Rob Walmart) is set to release a follow up to Prism of Eternal Now, entitled New Clouds, another album of freakish, fuzzy psychedelics. The record arrives October 19 via Kranky, and we have to say, we're pretty stoked. The tracklist is below.
Read more »
Today, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart announced plans for releasing a new EP, Higher Than the Stars, and a single for the track "Come Saturday," both to appear on Slumberland Records (whom we feature in August's upcoming Labels We Love issue). "Falling Over," a centerpiece of the band's new EP and unstoppable live show, is a "brooding synth-led tune that recalls New Optimist touchstones like Orange Juice and Aztec Camera," says a press release for the recording. Read more »
It’s been more than three years since we last heard from Vitalic—at least in terms of releasing full-lengths. And now, with "Your Disco Song" to tease us, he's been announced that Flashmob will arrive in stores (via PIAS/Different) on September 24. Check the tracklist below.
01. See the Sea (Red)
02. Poison Lips
Read more »
Building on their organization's constantly evolving tastes, NYC's Central Park SummerStage will play host to a performance by Boys Noize , Drop the Lime , and Canyons early next month. It's a bit of a switch for the 23-year-old festival, whose other upcoming guests include the likes of Bettye Lavette, Budos Band, M. Read more »
One of Detroit's finest MCs, Guilty Simpson, has teamed up once again with Madlib for a full-length on Stones Throw under the OJ Simpson moniker. With Simpson's gruff baritone flowing over Madlib's dark and chunky carnival beats on "Coroner's Music," the album's title track and first single promises some real hip-hop, echoing J Dilla's productions with shades of DJ Premier coming through. Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player