Detroit ambassador Black Milk sets us straight on why Motor City hip-hop is still relevant on "Losing Out," off his 2008 full-length Tronic. Royce Da 5' 9" accompanies him as they trade raps against a desolate-but-resilant landscape that undoubtedly reflects their hometown.
Tronic is out now on Fat Beats. Read more »
School of Seven Bells members Alejandra "Ali" Deheza and twin sister Claudia take a road trip in this video, accompanied by the band's dream-pop-meets-shoegaze track, off 2008’s Alpinisms. We present it in normal quality here, but those who like their colors bright and lines defined, and want extra-detailed glimpses of the Deheza twins' pretty faces should check the HD version. Read more »
Anyone familiar with Xiu Xiu’s music knows that frontman Jamie Stewart channels emotion through his songs like no other (this is, after all, the guy whose band takes its namesake from a film concerning Mao Tse-Tung's Cultural Revolution horrors). It follows, then, that seeing Stewart and Co. in the live setting involves a kind of awe that borders on unsettling at times.
Read more »
Interdependent Media (iM) is a label that describes itself by stating "We put out records. Good ones, at that," on its website.
Keeping that concise characterization in mind, we'll tell you what the Berkeley, CA-based indie hip-hop imprint has on the burners for 2009.
Read more »
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsAndy Stott Preps New LP for Modern Love; Hear a Track Now
- NewsHear Seven Davis Jr Remix Martyn
XLR8R Downloads Player