Video: Popcaan "The System (Produced by Dre Skull)"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
Although it was a "long, strange trip" for Brooklyn's Dre Skull to become a dancehall producer, his work in that field has always made him sound like a natural. The tunesmith's latest release, Loudspeaker Riddim, earned him XLR8R Pick honors back in May, and he continues his winning streak with a video for "The System," Popcaan's vocal-version of Dre Skull's firey riddim. As Dre Skull explains in a recent column he wrote for Vice, "The System" was originally meant to feature the vocal stylings of Natalie Storm, but Popcaan's "epic, heartfelt song about the struggles of ghetto youth" won him over. The video was shot to look like a single take shot on location in Kingston, and features Popcaan and his fitted-cap-wearing crew strolling through a lively shantytown.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player