Video: Popcaan "The System (Produced by Dre Skull)"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
Although it was a "long, strange trip" for Brooklyn's Dre Skull to become a dancehall producer, his work in that field has always made him sound like a natural. The tunesmith's latest release, Loudspeaker Riddim, earned him XLR8R Pick honors back in May, and he continues his winning streak with a video for "The System," Popcaan's vocal-version of Dre Skull's firey riddim. As Dre Skull explains in a recent column he wrote for Vice, "The System" was originally meant to feature the vocal stylings of Natalie Storm, but Popcaan's "epic, heartfelt song about the struggles of ghetto youth" won him over. The video was shot to look like a single take shot on location in Kingston, and features Popcaan and his fitted-cap-wearing crew strolling through a lively shantytown.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player