Listen to Richie Hawtin Talk Career, Life, Music, and More
- Words: Natalie Kelapire
In this recent interview, BBC Radio 1 DJ Heidi talks with longtime friend and techno icon Richie Hawtin about the artist's life and musical career from his start as Plastikman up to where he is today living in Berlin. Listen below to hear the two reminisce on early times when Hawtin would dig through his father's record collection, take frequent trips to Detroit to explore the record stores and clubs in the blossoming city, and how for him, starting to DJ was actually "sort of an accident." Hawtin goes on to explain the reason for his move to New York, and also talks in detail about the early success of Plastikman, as well as his legendary warehouse parties in Detroit. The interview features appearances from Seth Troxler, a few Detroit legends—such as Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, and Juan Atkins—as well as Hawtin's own father and brother.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player