Listen to Richie Hawtin Talk Career, Life, Music, and More
- Words: Natalie Kelapire
In this recent interview, BBC Radio 1 DJ Heidi talks with longtime friend and techno icon Richie Hawtin about the artist's life and musical career from his start as Plastikman up to where he is today living in Berlin. Listen below to hear the two reminisce on early times when Hawtin would dig through his father's record collection, take frequent trips to Detroit to explore the record stores and clubs in the blossoming city, and how for him, starting to DJ was actually "sort of an accident." Hawtin goes on to explain the reason for his move to New York, and also talks in detail about the early success of Plastikman, as well as his legendary warehouse parties in Detroit. The interview features appearances from Seth Troxler, a few Detroit legends—such as Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, and Juan Atkins—as well as Hawtin's own father and brother.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player