The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The latest installment of In the Studio found us peppering Machinedrum (pictured above) with production questions and taking a look at his bedroom studio in Berlin.
2. This week's XLR8R podcast came from rising UK producer Midland, who put together an exclusive mix of washy, melodic house in advance of his appearance at next week's Dimensions Festival.
4. Abstract beatmaker Shlohmo remixed the controversial "Enough Said," the posthumous Aaliyah track produced by Drake.
5. Native Instruments announced the details of its updated Maschine line.
6. We premiered the new video for Simian Mobile Disco's "Species Out of Control."
7. London producer jozif offered up an unreleased dub mix of "The Guitar Player" from his new EP, Standard Rising.
8. Addison Groove is starting his own label, and sent over a preview of the first release.
9. Brainfeeder released a free EP from LA experimentalist Matthewdavid; we posted the first track, All Night Long," a cover of the original by Rick James proteges Mary Jane Girls.
10. This week's contest gave readers the chance to score passes to this year's Decibel Festival in Seattle.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player