Buraka Som Sistema Features in Forthcoming Tuki Documentary
- Words: Anthony Princi
You've probably heard of the genre "Baile funk." You've also probably heard the sounds of "kuduro" made famous by the likes of Munchi, Schlachthofbronx, and, of course, Buraka Som Sistema. What you most likely haven't heard of yet is "tuki," but a new documentary about the burgeoning sound aims to change that. Born out of the slums of Caracas, Venezuela, the genre fuses the sounds of the aforementioned genres with traces of more raw and fresh elements. The documentary, entitled Who Wants Tuki?, will shed light on this relatively unexplored sound, featuring footage of DJs and producers in Venezeula—including Buraka Som Sistema and more up-and-coming producers—as they create this new genre. You can check out a trailer for the film before it drops later this month, below, and make sure to keep your eyes peeled for a new collaborative release from Pocz & Pacheko, DJ Yirvin, and the aforementioned Portuguese quartet, which will drop via Enchufada in November.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player