The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The xx let everyone listen to its new album, Coexist, via a free online stream before the record officially drops next week.
2. LA beatmaker The Gaslamp Killer gave away "Impulse," a collaboration with Daedelus from his forthcoming debut LP, Breakthrough.
3. After surprising everyone last week with the announcement of a new album that was coming out only days later, Peter Van Hoesen surprised everyone again this week, first with a new video, and then with an excellent XLR8R podcast.
4. We compiled a list of our Top 20 Downloads of August.
5. Teenage Engineering unveiled a whole new line of accessories for its popular OP-1 portable synthesizer.
6. Irish producer Monto offered up a free download of "Homage," the lead track from his new EP, Best Boy.
7. Mala in Cuba comes out next week, but Mala posted a full stream for people to preview online.
8. Pioneer will soon be releasing an updated version of its popular CDJ-2000s, the CDJ-2000nexus.
9. Ahead of his new album of the same name, Flying Lotus released a short film entitled Until the Quiet Comes.
10. Following weeks of anticipation, we debuted our brand-new advice column with Nick Hook, Hi, Doctor Nick!.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player