The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. We visited Magda (pictured above) at her Berlin studio for the latest installment of In the Studio, where she told us about her equipment, her evolution as a producer, and her split with Minus.
2. After spending a long weekend in Croatia at the inaugural Dimensions Festival, our review cataloged the highlights and lowlights... and stirred up a lot of emotional responses in the process.
3. In advance of his appearance at this weekend's New Forms festival in Vancouver, Detroit electro warrior DJ Stingray put together a fiery mix for the XLR8R podcast series.
4. Four Tet shared his new remix of Nigel Godrich's new band, Ultraísta.
5. For the latest edition of Deep Inside, we spoke with UK dubstep legend Mala about his new album, his travels to Cuba, and how his latest work fits into the context of his storied career.
6. Amsterdam producer Saux remixed "Sweet Talk" by rising UK pop princess Jessie Ware, transforming the song into a bouncy piece of slow-motion house with a nice groove.
7. We kicked off our new Trainwreck feature with a horror story from Matthew Dear, who told us about the time he crashed his tour van on his first trip to New York.
8. Ahead of her new album for DVA's label, London's Shy One offered up her remix of French Fries' "Hugz" as a free download.
9. R&B crooner How to Dress Well shared a stream of Total Loss, which drops next week.
10. This week's contest presented readers with the chance to score a snazzy laptop bag from Booq. Enter now before it's too late!
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player