The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1.For this week's XLR8R Podcast, we celebrated Seattle's Decibel Festival by inviting UK techno producer Max Cooper (pictured above)—who's performing at the festival on Saturday night—to put together an exclusive DJ mix.
2. Our latest installment of In the Studio put us up close and personal with Berlin-based producer Lando Kal and his space-age studio cabin.
3. UK trio LV remixed "Long Haul," a new single from Maze Hill, itself a new project featuring former LV vocal collaborator Joshua Idehen.
4. Flying Lotus' Until the Quiet Comes won't be released until next week, but the LA beatmaker shared a full stream of the LP to tide people over in the meantime.
5. Machinedrum gave away the Ableton session for Room(s) cut "Sacred Frequency" and spoke at length about the song's production process.
6. Beginning in late October, Richie Hawtin and Loco Dice, along with a number of other top-shelf house and techno acts, will embark on a large-scale North American college tour.
7. London outfit Vondelpark transformed the soaring indie rock of Cave Painting's "So Calm," and asked XLR8R to share the densely textured remix as a free download.
8. Rising Moscow bass producer OL offered up a free download of "Keep Calm," a track from his forthcoming Body Varial EP.
9. Italian RBMA alumnus Broke One gave away his remix of Brighton producer King Dinsosaur.
10. Noah Pred flipped Little Dragon's "When I Go Out" into a dubby slice of dancefloor fodder, and let us post the results as a free download.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player