Video Premiere: Pixelord "Been Lookin"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
Just a few days ahead of the September 17 release of his Supaplex EP and following the recent freebie tune "Freeze Star VIP," Russian producer Pixelord (a.k.a. Alexey Devyanin) has unveiled the peculiar video for his new record's lead track, "Been Lookin." While the footwork-leaning beat doesn't overtly suggest that Pixelord has a fascination with shogun or samurai culture, the clip for the tune draws heavily on footage from a presumably vintage Japanese film. Director Dan Hankinson modified and edited the images by making ample use of the mirroring effect and superimposing opaque geometric patterns; at one moment, the film flickers within a triangle that's floating in what looks like star-spangled deep space. Considering the dark chord stabs in Pixelord's track, perhaps the black void of outer space is an appropriate setting for the video's seemingly random infatuation with samurai films.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player