The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. NYC upstart and Hercules & Love Affair affiliate Kim Ann Foxman (pictured above) put together an exlusive mix of upbeat house and garage jams for this week's XLR8R podcast.
2. Last week, we made a trip to Mexico City for this year's MUTEK.MX festival, and our review took note of 12 things that particularly grabbed our attention.
3. Ahead of the EP's release next week, a stream of George FitzGerald's Child Remixes—which includes remixes from Gerd and Gerry Read—was posted exclusively on XLR8R.
4. This week's contest gave readers the chance to score an iPad DJ Setup from IK Multimedia. Enter now before it's too late.
5. We reviewed Jiaolong, the debut album from Daphni, which happens to be the dance-oriented alter-ego of Caribou. A couple of days later, we took a closer look at the project and the album by interviewing the veteran artist for our latest Deep Inside feature.
6. Hotflush boss Scuba has a new single, "Talk Torque," on the way later this month. A stream of the track surfaced this week.
7. Before the release of his Catacombs EP later this month, Manchester producer Pále shared the moody "Orchidea" as a free download.
8. We premiered the video for A1 Bassline's "Breakaway," a portait of delinquent British that's one one the coolest—and strangest—clips we've seen this year.
10. LuckyMe affiliate Cid Rim remixed "Samba Feelin Bein This" from fellow Viennese producer Sixtus Preiss, and sent along the topsy-turvy tune as a free download.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player