The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Berlin-based dub-techno specialist Deadbeat (pictured above) delivered a hypnotically deep mix for this week's XLR8R podcast.
2. We counted down our Top 20 Downloads from the month of September.
3. This week's contest offered readers the chance to score a new Pioneer DDJ-WeGO Controller. Enter now before it's too late.
4. Following months of anticipation, Flying Lotus' new album, Until the Quiet Comes, came out this week. Our review outlined its strengths and weaknesses.
5. The latest chapter of our In the Studio series went inside the apartment/studio of Chicago veteran Hieroglyphic Being, who told us about his minimal set-up and unique approach to production.
6. Jon Convex refitted Jimmy Edgar's "Sex Drive" with a dark, jacking groove. Grab his "Dub Remix" as a free download.
7. The UK's Joy Orbison is known for keeping a low profile, but he put together a new mix for Resident Advisor's podcast series.
8. After five long days and nights in Seattle, our review of the city's annual Decibel festival chronicled the things we loved, the things we liked, and the things that needed work.
9. Bucharest producer Liar offered up "Andreea Dava" as a free download, a track infused with a groaning low end, gauzy female vocal samples, and a barebones 2-step beat.
10. Berlin transplants Machinedrum and Jimmy Edgar officially announced their new collaborative project, Jets. Also revealed were the details of the duo's first EP and a stream of one of its tracks, "Lock Lock Key."
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player