The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. We found a leaked video showcasing Ableton's new Live 9 software. The video came just one day before the official announcement from Ableton, which will be releasing not only the updated software, but also a new controller called Push.
2. This week's XLR8R podcast came from Chicago house legend Cajmere, whose exclusive mix traced the history of his Cajual Records imprint.
3. XLR8R's weekly contest offered readers the chance to win a limited-edition gold XW-P1 synth from Casio. Enter now before it's too late.
4. We got our hands on a new remix of The xx's "Angels" by UK producer Shadow Child. The housey "unofficial VIP" is available as a free download.
5. Following our trip to the Netherlands last week for the annual Amsterdam Dance Event, our review of ADE 2012 highlighted the conference's strengths and weaknesses.
6. LA producer Knxwledge (a.k.a. Knx.) just dropped a new beat tape for Matthewdavid's Leaving label, and sent over "j∆M.FRºZE" as a free download for our readers.
7. Hoftlush boss Scuba put together the latest FACT mix.
8. Space-disco don Lindstrøm has been getting remixed by some unexpected artists lately, the most recent being fellow Norwegian Slick Shoota, whose surprisingly house-flavored remix popped up in our Downloads section this week.
9. Ahead of his new LP for Brainfeeder, My Dry Wet Mess passed along new cut "Berlin Stereo Hands" as a free download.
10. UK pop-house sensation Disclosure will soon be releasing its latest single, "Latch." A remix EP has already been commissioned, and a stream of London producer T. Williams' edit surfaced online.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player