Photek to Release New LP, Offers Free Download
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Later this month, veteran beatmaker Photek (a.k.a. Rupert Parkes) will be releasing a new album, KU:PALM (artwork above). Although the name Photek will likely always be primarily associated with jungle and drum & bass, the man's sound has gone through several permutations during his nearly 20 years as a producer. And If the new song he's offered up for free download today is any indication, that evolution is still ongoing. "Pyramid," which can be streamed and downloaded below, certainly bears traces of Photek's drum & bass past, but it also operates at a chill tempo and experiments with various drum patterns while moving through moody atmospherics. At the risk of being blasphemous, there's definitely a trip-hop current at play here. We're not sure if it's something that will be present throughout KU:PALM, but we suppose that we'll find out when the album drops on October 23, with a digital version to follow on October 30.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player