Nothing says indie music Halloween more than black hair, angry lead singers, and strange neon faces beaming through dark backgrounds. Such are the elements of "Trash," lead single off The Whip's debut album, X Marks Destination (you might also recognize the track from way back in 2006, when it appeared on Kitsuné's Maison 3 compilation). Read more »
The Whip first caught our attention in 2006, when the song "Trash" appeared as one of the standouts on Paris-based label Kitsuné's Maison 3 compilation. The Manchester, U.K.-based four-piece has been carrying the rave/rock torch ever since, most notably in the form of its debut full-length, X Marks Destination.
Read more »
The reggae world is currently mourning the loss of one of its greatest singers. Alton Nehemiah Ellis (1939–2008) died Friday at the Hammersmith Hospital in London, 10 months after he was diagnosed with lymphatic cancer. He was 70 years old. Ellis was prolific in the 1960s and '70s and known as “Mr. Soul of Jamaica” for his pioneering rocksteady hits, “I’m Still In Love” (covered in 2004 by Sasha and Sean Paul), “I’m Just A Guy,” “Dance Crasher,” and others.
Read more »
Toronto, ON-based broken-beat, hip-hop, and nu-jazz label Public Transit Recordings (PTR) is offering an exclusive 15-song compilation at its online store. The comp, titled Next Stop, features a comprehensive look at the label’s diverse roster and includes music by broken-house star Arch_typ, deft MCing from L.A.’s Voice, chunky beats from LAL, and PTR founder Moonstarr’s own leftfield beats.
Read more »
Brooklyn-based mic-slayer/producer, 77klash, took the drum and bass-induced, post-genre rhythm, Skallawa, back to his homeland of Jamaica in 2005. Now, he's teamed up with warm-voiced reggae and dancehall mainstay, Johnny Osbourne, to produce a genre-advancing dancehall banger, “Mad Again (Whoa).” The video, directed by John Fine, features dancers from Ground Zero and Dancerz Blvd getting down to the minimalistic, low-end heavy, electro and hip hop-impelled track. Read more »
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player