Melvin Oliphant III (a.k.a. Traxx) is most definitely a freak for the Jakbeat, and we assume you’ll be in the same boat after absorbing the first few cuts off his latest album, FAITH. Issued via his own Nation imprint, the record is his first full-length under the Traxx alias and finds him once again collaborating with longtime partner-in-crime Tadd Mullinix (a.k.a. James T. Cotton, Dabrye), as well as with Clone’s electro diva Nancy Fortune. Read more »
Brooklynites (and the rest of the tri-state area) should head to the Prospect Park Bandshell on Friday, June 26, as none other than Blonde Redhead will be performing a free show that evening. The set is part of Brooklyn's annual Celebrate Brooklyn! series, which lures about 250,000 folks each summer with its music and dance performances. Blonde Redhead's set will take place at 7:30 p.m. (park gates open at 6:30), and the multilingual rockers will perform songs from across their discography.
Read more »
The last time we checked in with Joakim Bouaziz, talk revolved around all things monster-related. 2009 finds the French producer less concerned with where the wild things are and more laid back as he prepares for the release of his third full-length, Milky Ways. Read more »
Akufen wowed audiences this year at MUTEK's 10th anniversary, and Canadian Broadcasting Corporation affiliate Band à part captured the moment (plus a number of other MUTEK performances). "Memories de MUTEK" is a 20-minute clip that, if you missed this year's festival, should give an idea of what went down at the Mecca of minimal techno. Akufen is featured, along with Modern Deep Left Quartet, Stephen Beaupré, Mateo Murphy, and others.
Read more »
Lady singjay Queen Ifrica joins the VP Records family this month with a new full-length, Welcome to Montego Bay, in which her many musical sides converge. The album finds her lyrically honing in on subjects like poverty, violence, and soaring unemployment, while at other times Ifrica shows off her romantic side, with several uplifting numbers. Additionally, her already infamous track "Daddy," a story of child molestation, will also be included in the album. Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player