The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Legowelt, Nicolas Jaar, Throwing Snow, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R Podcast came courtesy of Dutch techno eccentric Legowelt (pictured above), who put together an exclusive mix loaded with unreleased tunes—most of them his own.
2. Over the weekend, Nicolas Jaar posted a new track on his SoundCloud for free download. The song is curiously credited to both Jaar and Theatre Roosevelt.
3. For those looking to get stylish, this week's contest on XLR8R offered readers the chance to score a pair of tweed headphones from Urbanears. There's still time—enter now before it's too late.
4. Before his Aspera EP drops next week, UK producer Throwing Snow gave us an exclusive stream of the record and sat down for a quick Q & A session.
5. French electro-house weirdo Mr. Oizo was in a generous mood this week, as he gave away Unreleased Unfinished Unpleasant, a free collection of 12 previously unreleased tunes from the past eight years.
6. London producer James Welsh—who just released a new EP, The Way, sent over an exclusive track, "Novelty Island," for us to offer up as a free download.
7. The Numbers imprint has long been one of our favorites, and its founders have decided to expand their efforts by launching a new festival called Pleasure Principle. The first edition is in April and boasts an impressive line-up with Joy Orbison, Rustie, Blawan, and many more.
8. Sónar announced the first details of its 2013 festivals, including the fact that its annual Barcelona event will feature performances by Kraftwerk, Todd Terje, Lindstrøm, and more.
9. Young Wonder will be releasing "To You" next week, but we posted an Ambassadeurs remix of the tune as a free download.
10. Our latest edition of Trainwreck finds Alixander III (of Azari & III fame) sharing a tale of when his group got ripped off to the tune of 30 grand.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player