The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DJ Shadow, Ghostly, Jamie xx, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Back in December, DJ Shadow was infamously kicked off the decks at Miami's Mansion club, prompting a firestorm of criticism directed at the venue. In response to all the hullabaloo, the veteran artist has posted the infringing set online. Now, everyone can listen and decide whether or not his music was, as he put it, "too future."
2. Berlin's Wankelmut will soon be releasing his first record for the long-running Get Physical imprint, so the label sent over this Kasper Bjørke remix of his song "My Head Is a Jungle" as a free download.
3. The long-running Ghostly imprint gave away a free compilation of new music this week, which included tunes from Com Truise, Heathered Pearls, Matthew Dear, Mux Mool, Tycho, and Michna, among others.
4. Jamie xx decided to edit his own band, offering up an edit of The xx's "Sunset" as a free download.
5. As we do every month, we tabulated the most popular tracks that were posted in our Downloads section during December, and posted them all in a single, easy-to-peruse list.
6. Fresh off his new release for Halocyan, Florida's Sumsun offered up a stellar remix of Daphni's "Yes I Know," which we posted as a free download.
7. Koreless and Sampha have been working together since 2010, but the two have elected to make it official, announcing an impending release from the project, which they've dubbed Short Stories.
8. Inventive UK producer Ossie recently gave away a new EP, Ossie Baba, via SoundCloud and we posted the title cut in our Downloads section.
9. Throwing Snow is an artist who's prone to frequent stylistic shifts, and his most recent offering, "Buck," is no different. Grab it as a free download.
10. We were thrilled to see Doctor Nick return for 2013, and everyone's favorite wiseman quickly got down to business, offering advice on how to score DJ gigs from afar and enlisting his pal Nick Catchdubs from Fool's Gold to speak on the proper etiquette of offering free downloads.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureLocals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- NewsDownload New Edits from Karizma
- NewsWatch the Wild New Video for "Tsekeleke," Nozinja's First Shangaan Electro Outing for Warp
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- NewsDeadboy Streams Full Upcoming 'Return' EP for Numbers
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player