The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Four Tet, Oneman, Trus'me, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. We kicked off the week with Welcome to... the Internet, an in-depth look at how the internet has affected electronic music in recent years. It included quotes from Nguzunguzu, MikeQ, Fatima Al Quadiri, RL Grime, Brenmar, Physical therapy, and Matrixxman.
2. This week's XLR8R podcast featured an exclusive mix from UK house veteran Trus'me (pictured above), who will soon be releasing his first new full-length since 2009.
3. In a surprise move, Four Tet offered up a free album of previously unreleased material.
4. London producer Otik is only 19 years old, but his skippy house cut "Tremble" was the most popular new tune in our Downloads section this week.
5. Oneman made his first major announcement of the year; he'll soon be releasing a new mixtape and posted a free slow-house edit of The xx's "Chained" to whet our collective appetites.
6. The UK was in a generous mood this week; Pariah gave away a beatless production from his archive, "Numbers Station," as a free download.
7. LA beatmaker Shlohmo announced the impending release of a new EP, Laid Out, along with an upcoming North American tour.
8. Cosmic-disco stalwarts Todd Terje and Lindstrøm will soon be releasing a collaborative single, and are also in the midst of planning an extensive joint tour.
9. Nina Kraviz will be soon releasing another set of remixes, the next installment coming courtesy of Detroit veterans Marcellus Pittman and Urban Tribe.
10. Next month, Joy Orbison will be crossing the Atlantic for a short North American tour.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player