The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with South London Ordnance, Apparat, Lapalux, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R podcast came from rising UK producer South London Ordnance (pictured above), who followed up an impressive 2012 with this mix full of unreleased gems.
2. We kicked off Bubblin' Up Week 2013 with an in-depth look at the current crop of underground sounds in Bristol, including artists such as Vessel, Kahn, Kowton, Artifact, Hodge, and others.
3. 19-year-old Leeds producer Dosage came out of nowhere and shared a new track, "Bring It Back," which promptly lit up our Downloads section.
4. Berlin veteran Apparat announced the impending release of a new LP, Krieg und Frieden (Music for Theatre), an album based on the music he composed for Sebastian Hartmann's theatre production of Tolstoy's War and Peace.
5. Another Bubblin' Up Week 2013 feature profiled four artists from the nebulous world of so-called "outsider house": Delroy Edwards, Anthony Naples, Huerco S., and Roche.
7. Posted just this morning, we wrapped Bubblin' Up Week 2013 with a list of quick looks at 10 More Artists to Watch in the year ahead.
8. Moog teased the world with a video previewing a brand-new synth, which the company will be officially unveiling later this month at the NAMM convention.
9. Following a series of well-received EPs, Brainfeeder associate Lapalux announced that he will be releasing his debut full-length, Nostalchic, in March.
10. Production duo/technology experts Hermutt Lobby—who most recently helped develop the Beatsurfing iPad app—will soon drop a new EP of original material, Haters Gonna Hate, and shared one of its tracks, "Computer Club," as a free download.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player