The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Toro Y Moi, J Dilla, Bonobo, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Our first In the Studio feature of 2013 took us to Berkeley, California for a peek inside the workspace of Toro Y Moi (pictured above).
2. J Dilla's mother began the process of selling his record collection this week, and will continue the sale in installments during the months ahead.
3. Fresh off the release of his recent debut full-length, this week's XLR8R podcast featured an exclusive mix from Toronto veteran Basic Soul Unit.
4. Norwegian space-disco auteur Lindstrøm put together a remix of Grizzly Bear's "Gun Shy," which he offered up as a free download.
5. Bonobo announced the impending release of a new full-length and an upcoming North American tour. He also dropped the LP's first video, crafted for the song "Cirrus."
6. 50Weapons passed along a new remix of Phon.o's "Black Boulder," which was reworked by Berlin-based producer SCNTST.
7. Tascam gave us a pair of its TH-02 headphones, which we're giving away in our weekly contest. Enter now before its too late.
8. It's not often that Drake gets mentioned on XLR8R, but the Figgy remix of "Doing It Wrong" was too good to pass up. That's why we posted it as a free download.
9. "&Fate," a new collaborative track from UK standouts Boddika and Joy Orbison, found its way onto the web this week. Check out the stream before the track is released on the upcoming Think and Change box set.
10. A new tune from Jacques Greene also surfaced this week. "Quicksand" previously appeared on some of his mixes, and will presumably be released at some point in the near future.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player