Those Manchester, U.K.-based disco rockers in The Whip released their X Marks Destination album earlier this year on Southern Fried, and they have a large handful of tour dates planned, for which they'll show off material from the release. Check a recent performance here, when the band played this past July at McCarren Park in Brooklyn. Much head nodding behind the PowerBook ensues here. Read more »
This week’s Pon Di Wire is “live”-icated to the great trumpeter, Johnny “Dizzy” Moore, who passed away Saturday, August 16 at age 70. In 1963, Moore joined Tommy McCook, Roland Alphonso, and Lloyd Knibb in The Skatalites, Jamaica’s most noted jazz orchestra. Read more »
Release Date: Out Now
A comprehensive sampler of many different styles of music (everything from psychedelia to future-folk), Migration finds this Brooklyn-based band turning the indie-pop sound on its head, experimenting with rhythms, tempos, and the like, proving there's more than one way to strum a guitar.
Read more »
"Muxtape will be unavailable for a brief period while we sort out a problem with the RIAA," is what the virtual mixtape's site currently states. No information as to what exactly the issues are is known, though anyone familiar with the site, which hosts more free music than a large record shop, could take a guess. Muxtape's blog has also posted a note that says, "No artists or labels have complained. The site is not closed indefinitely. Stay tuned."
Read more »
The connection between Ethiopia and Jamaica dates back to the 1930s, when Jamaican Leonard Howell founded the Rastafarian movement. Inspired by Marcus Garvey’s teachings, Howell propagated that Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I was the black Messiah. Selassie visited Jamaica in 1966 and the Ethiopian Amharic language has been taught on the island for decades. Read more »
The ever-prolific beatsmith Madlib will join the ranks of Pete Rock, Jazzy Jeff, and the late J Dilla on September 30, when he drops the latest Beat Generation compilation. WLIB AM: King of the Wigflip also marks the final installment of BBE's acclaimed series. Hip-hop and R&B rule here, with plenty of samples, vocal snippets, and beats from the likes of Guilty Simpson, Prince Po, Georgia Anne Muldrow, and, of course The Beat Konducta himself.
King of Wigflip
Read more »
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Comp
- NewsWatch a Tripped-Out Video from Thug Entrancer
- NewsCheck Out Anthony Parasole's All-Jeff Mills Mix for Beats in Space
- NewsStream Another New Track from Four Tet's Upcoming Percussions 12"s
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player