Beatport Purchased by SFX Entertainment
- Words: Patric Fallon
Quite possibly the biggest retailer of electronic and DJ-specific music, Beatport has been sold to SFX Entertainment, the company owned and operated by Robert F.X. Sillerman which set out last year to build a billion-dollar EDM empire. As the NY Times reports, Beatport was purchased for an estimated $50 million. Speaking on his recently acquired company, Sillerman says, "Beatport gives us direct contact with the DJs and lets us see what's popular and what's not." He continues, "Most important, it gives us a massive platform for everything related to EDM." The chief executive of Beatport, Matthew Adell, reportedly sees the sale as an opportunity to expand the online retailer's business to include live events and reach countries "where the dance genre is exploding, like India and Brazil." There are currently no reports as to how SFX's purchase of Beatport will affect its current inner and outer workings.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player