In a nod to days gone by, when labels released sampler packages with the intention of encouraging consumers to purchase CDs, the folks at 4AD are giving music fans a little gift for the holidays. The label has gathered 12 tracks from the likes of Atlas Sound, Stereolab, Department of Eagles, and TV on the Radio, and turned them into a digital label sampler that's now up for download. Songs are taken from previously released albums currently available from the label. Read more »
Never a band to do anything half-hearted, Black Lips will rush into 2009 with a brand-new album and a ridiculously large set of tour dates. The new full-length, 200 Million Thousand (even the title is a bit larger-than-life), is said to be 14 more tracks of straightforward garage rock, packed with guitar riffs that lend themselves to the onstage antics these guys are known for the world over.
Read more »
The official video for this track, off Booka Shade's The Sun and Neon Light, runs something like the opening credits to a movie–a very somber one, which matches the musical mood of the track. Think drug deals, drunks on the street, car burglaries, relationship troubles, and being denied entrance into clubs, all set in the ever-exciting landscape of New York, and you're on the right track. There's even a little surprise twist at the end. Read more »
After a couple tumultuous years that included numerous onstage outbursts and canceled shows, Lady Sovereign is back to work, with a new album ready for release in Spring 2009. Jigsaw, the follow-up to her 2006 debut, Public Warning!, will arrive on April 7 in the U.S. and April 6 in the U.K. Sov is said to be putting the finishing touches on the album, which will include collaborations with Dr. Luke, Benny Blanco, and Medasyn.
Read more »
As is usually the case, the Ultra Music crew will be in attendance this year for the 24th annual Winter Music Conference, and they're throwing another bash to celebrate.
The two-day event dubbed Ultra Music Festival 11, will take place over March 27 and 28 in South Beach, Miami's Bicentennial Park. It also seems that Ultra has stepped up the lineup this year, with Cut Copy, Crystal Castles, Roni Size, Busy P, and others slated to perform.
Read more »
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player