Julio Bashmore and Hyetal Ready Collaborative Single; Hear It Now
- Words: Brad Stabler
As individual producers, Julio Bashmore and Hyetal sport impressive resumes of deep house and techno releases that are immediately infectious and endearing; together as Velour, they are of a whole different breed, specializing in a predominantly funky strain of beatmaking. Released in 2010, the Velvet Collection EP for UK outpost Night Slugs was a sudden left turn in the label's catalogue at the time, as it boasted mostly warm, analogue synths and stuttering 909 claps. Velour's new single, "Speedway" b/w "Dial," eschews some of the party vibes that Velvet offered, and instead favors a cool, lean sonic landscape and freeform, jamming synth work. Before Bashmore's own Broadwalk label drops the 12" on March 4, you can stream both "Speedway"—which we've experienced in video form before—and "Dial" in full below, where you'll also find Velour's slow-grooving remix of "Fallin' Love" by BenZel. (via FACT)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player